The time of advent is well and truly underway. I really look forward to going to church at this time of year.
I loved reading your comments on ginger biscuits (or cookies!) - I think the consensus is that ginger is definitely Christmassy. So I thought I'd share the recipe.
Elizabeth's Ginger Biscuits
8oz self raising flour
3oz caster sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp ground ginger
(Optional extras: Extra half a tsp of ginger, half a tsp of nutmeg and half a tsp of cinnamon. 100g white chocolate. These are my own additions, but I highly recommend them :D)
1. Mix together all the dry ingredients.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the golden syrup.
3. Mix the two together.
4. Roll into balls about the size of a walnut. I get about 12-15 from a batch.
5. Bake at 170 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
6. Leave to stand for 5 minutes and transfer to a wire rack.
7. Melt white chocolate and drizzle (or dollop) on the top.
And if you sprinkle them with sugar stars, you get an extra wish!
P.S. Not sure who Elizabeth is, so if you prefer to think of them as my Nanny's biscuits, that's OK. Although you probably don't know her, but I can vouch for her awesomeness.