We've been enjoying some lovely warm weather lately - ice cream weather you might say! And maybe not everyone's first thought when it's hot and sunny is tea, but what if you could combine tea and ice cream into the perfect frozen dessert?
Exactly. Happy days.
So today I'm sharing a recipe for Summer Berry and White Chocolate Ice Tea Sundae. Quite a mouthful, both literally, and in name. So where does the tea come in? Well, I picked one of my favourite refreshing blends of tea from Bluebird Tea Co and infused it into white chocolate sauce to drizzle over the sundae. You can almost certainly do this with any blend of tea that you enjoy, but I picked the appropriately-named Jelly and Ice Cream.
Jelly and Ice Cream is a rooibos tea filled with coconut, strawberry, vanilla and apple. It's creamy and fruity and delicious and it's one of my absolute favourites. I usually drink it brewed hot with a splash of milk and enjoy the sweet ice-creamy flavour, and it therefore seemed like the perfect choice to add into a sundae.
Ingredients: Makes 4 Sundaes
8 shortbread biscuits
200g frozen berries
150ml single cream
100g white chocolate
4 scoops vanilla ice cream
4 tsp tea
I used Jelly and Ice Cream tea, as mentioned above, but you could use your own favourite. Equally, if you want a different flavour of ice cream, go for it! Finally, I used a mixture of frozen strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, but any frozen fruit you enjoy would work.
1) Pour the cream into a small saucepan and add the tea (it's easiest if you put the tea into a little drawstring teabag so you can get it out again later). Put the pan over a low heat until the cream just comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave the tea to steep for at least half an hour to allow the flavours to infuse into the cream.
2) When you've infused the cream, remove the tea, and put the cream back on a low heat. Add the white chocolate and stir thoroughly, until the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream. Leave the sauce to cool.
3) Use a pestle and mortar to grind the shortbread into crumbs. Divide the biscuit crumbs between 4 glasses, leaving a couple of spoonfuls to sprinkle on top of the sundaes.
4) Split half the frozen berries between the four glasses and add a scoop of ice cream over the top, to build up layers in the sundae.
5) Share the remaining berries between the four glasses, keeping one back to top off each glass.
6) Drizzle the tea and white chocolate sauce over the top of each sundae. Sprinkle over the last few biscuit crumbs and top each sundae with a final berry. Voila! The perfect summer dessert is ready to go.
Of course, there's nothing to stop you putting the whole lot into one giant bowl and attacking it yourself. Just in case the summer weather lets us down and it's pouring with rain and you need cheering up. Let's just call that an alternative serving suggestion.
P.S. As a tea rep for Bluebird Tea Company, I can offer you a one-use-only 20% off discount code: just enter CURIOUSTEABIRD07 when you check out. You can hop on over now to find the summery cocktail-inspired Tea Tipples to try, or to snaffle some Jelly and Ice Cream rooibos.