As a rep for Bluebird Tea Co, it's very easy to get excited when new teas make an appearance. But this batch of new ones was particularly intriguing: new matcha flavours including ice cream and salted caramel! I love salted caramel anything and was was very keen for it to arrive.
My box of tea did not disappoint, containing the three new matchas, the lovely new bag design and a packet of the Blue Raspberry tea. Very refreshing and a bit of a party tea as it changes colour! But it was the salted caramel matcha that stole my heart .
If you've not tried matcha before, you should know that it's a form of green tea, but instead of infusing the leaves and then straining them out, the leaves are powdered, dissolved and then you drink them. That way you absorb all the goodness. As well as being perfect for lattes by blending them with milk, matcha is also fab in a huge range of recipes, so today I'm going to share a recipe for matcha porridge. Featuring the salted caramel blend, of course.
Porridge is effective and delicious fuel for the morning, and with the amazing new matcha flavours in the Bluebird Tea Co range, there are loads of yummy varieties just waiting to take over breakfast. I decided to pair the salted caramel matcha with a warming, nutty bowl of porridge; it’s good to indulge while getting all the lovely benefits of matcha! This recipe is for one, but you can easily multiply up as needed.
50g porridge oats
300ml almond milk
1 tsp salted caramel matcha
25g nuts (I used a mixture of cashews, hazelnuts and walnuts)
1 tsp golden syrup
1) Combine the matcha with a dash of water – a splash of cold and a splash of hot is ideal as boiling water will burn the tea. Mix vigorously to avoid getting any lumps.
2) Add the oats and milk to a saucepan and warm over a medium heat. Once the mixture starts to boil, simmer for 5 minutes until the porridge becomes thick and creamy.
3) Add a pinch of cinnamon and stir through. Remove the pan from the heat.
4) Add the matcha mixture to the porridge and combine thoroughly.Your porridge will go an interesting shade of green, but trust me, it will taste great!
5) Serve the porridge into a bowl. Swirl a teaspoon a golden syrup over the top to sweeten (if desired) and top with the nuts. Scatter over the flaked almonds and dig in!
If you're feeling like an extra treat first thing (and I always do), a handful of white chocolate chips is a very tasty addition. Who doesn't want chocolate for breakfast? Oh, and you absolutely must eat this in bed, for maximum cosiness.
P.S.As a tea rep for Bluebird Tea Company, I can offer you a one-use-only 20% off discount code: just enter CURIOUSTEABIRD07 when you check out. You can hop on over now to find the new matcha flavours. And for me, it's time to get stuck into the ice cream!